Position: Certification Specialist
Reports to: Program Director
Organization: Ontario EcoSchools
Status: 1 year contract with 6 month probationary period with possibility of renewal depending on performance and funding; position is subject to receiving grant funding
Location: Bathurst and Bloor, CSI Annex, Toronto, ON
Hours of work: 37.5 hours/week
Salary: $42,000/year, plus comprehensive benefits package
Background on Ontario EcoSchools
Ontario EcoSchools is an environmental education program building on student success in academics and environmentally responsible actions to save energy, minimize waste, and green school grounds. EcoSchools began with 7 participating boards in 2002; there are 51 boards implementing the program for the 2011-12 school year. Please visit our website for more information www.ontarioecoschools.org.
Together with the Ontario EcoSchools staff team, the Certification Specialist will support school boards as they implement the program in Ontario schools. The Certification Specialist will need to work in a collaborative manner on tasks related to the implementation and certification of EcoSchools (presentations, workshops), communication – specifically with the online community and general administrative support.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Program Director:
• Review certification applications, conduct certification site visits, and finalize assessments from schools across the province
• Collecting, compiling and analyzing feedback on the Certification program and strategically plan and implement short-term and long-term improvements to the program
• Support, develop and implement strategies that expand the reach of the Ontario EcoSchools program specifically supporting the online community
• Support the preparation of reports and presentations to funders, the Steering Committee and others
• Developing/delivering PD sessions and presentations to educators that are implementing EcoSchools
• Facilitating a network of school board staff and partners through communication strategies including: online community support/updates, emails, bulletins, meetings, and workshops
• Ensure that the information on the EcoSchools website is kept up to date and provide input on the design and development of web-based resources
• Develop resources to facilitate regular, on-going communication with the EcoSchools audience
• Promote EcoSchools within the formal and informal education sectors
• Respond to inquiries about the EcoSchools program and provide field support as possible
• Coordinate the certification site visit schedule of ~900 site visits, 25+ assessors and ~51 board representatives.
• Organize and help plan meetings and presentations
• Work closely with the Program Director and perform other duties assigned as needed
• Some overnight travel required, access to car preferred
• A degree in education or equivalent experience
• Well-developed knowledge of environmental issues and environmental education, particularly as they occur in the formal education setting
• Experience with program delivery to teachers and/or senior board staff
• Excellent research, analytical, communication, and organizations skills
• Computer skills including website management, online community experience, data management, and presentation applications
• Valid driver’s license; access to a car is preferred
Please send a cover letter addressed to The Hiring Committee and resume in a single PDF or Word document to firstname.lastname@example.org by Wed. July 18th, 5pm. Only successful candidates will be contacted for an interview. No phone calls please.