We Animals Media (WAM) is the world’s leading animal photojournalism agency, partnering with nonprofits, journalists, policy-makers, educators and individuals to tell the stories of animals used for food, fashion, entertainment, labor, religion, and experimentation.
Our global network of award-winning photographers and videographers captures visuals from a broad and diverse spectrum of animal industries. Together we have created an expansive stock platform of animal photojournalism available for free to anyone looking to inspire change.
We are looking for a Communications and Marketing Associate to support our Communications team with digital marketing, promotions, media outreach, and communications materials and needs. We are looking for someone who can write compelling and persuasive copy across different channels, engage with media partners, ensure brand alignment and develop marketing campaigns. We seek someone excited about our mission and who we are, with communications and marketing experience in the animal advocacy, nonprofit and/or photography worlds.
Type: Part-time permanent position at 20 hours / week, with flexible schedule.
Reports to: Communications Director
Location: Remote, candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
Salary: $58,800 Canadian pro-rated to a part-time schedule.
Start date: Flexible, ideally end of June.
Application deadline: May 18
As an ideal candidate for this role you are:
- Good with words. Your writing is clear, interesting and tuned to its audience.
- Outgoing and collaborative. You enjoy building connections, developing relationships and working with others.
- Flexible and keen to tackle a variety of projects and challenges as they emerge (vs needing a fixed job description).
- A self-starter who will bring ideas and suggestions to the table and proactively ask for information (vs waiting for instructions or information to come to you). You’re also happy to receive specific instructions to implement something (there’s that flexibility again).
- A clear and timely communicator. People like communicating with you and you do so in a timely manner.
- Good with receiving feedback and direction. Sometimes a lot, sometimes a little!
- Detail oriented with spelling, grammar and consistency.
- Excited about WAM. You believe that telling animal stories is critical and an essential component of positive change.
For communications support, you will:
- Write copy that facilitates user engagement, promotes our work and aligns with our brand.
- Develop a deep understanding of our work and help identify diverse audiences who can use our visuals.
- Support the communications and marketing of various projects.
- Craft and apply clear messaging to maximize impact and reach.
- Help to diversify our audience and user base.
- Collaborate with external contacts on a variety of projects.
- Help with general comms admin.
- Collaborate with our Content and Social Media managers on a variety of projects.
For marketing and promotions, you will:
- Write clear and persuasive copy for our email campaigns, including our monthly newsletter (we use Mailchimp).
- Create email campaign layouts and schedule their send offs.
- Develop and execute marketing and promotions projects in line with our strategic directions.
- Work to ensure our Google ads generate adequate engagement.
- Make use of Google Analytics to evaluate marketing strategies.
- Generate publicity for our contributors, such as speaking engagements and interviews.
For media outreach, you will:
- Work closely with the Communications Director on outreach to warm and cold media contacts about our recent work.
- Create and maintain press and pitch lists.
- Draft and send pitches, press releases, or web materials for press partners as needed.
- Track media successes and challenges, sometimes pivoting strategy as we gather information from campaign to campaign.
Things you might do (depending on skills, experience, interests, and our needs):
- Update portions of our website (we use WordPress);
- Create graphic designs;
- Coordinate team projects.
- Must have a passion for the We Animals Media mission to bring visibility to hidden animals.
- 2-3 years of experience that speaks to this position.
- Proven ability to work effectively in a remote team (we know most people have been remote lately, but we’re always remote! The candidate must enjoy and thrive in this type of working environment).
- Fluent in English.
- General IT literacy. Must be able to quickly learn and work with new platforms.
- Legally entitled to work in Canada.
Bonus, but not required:
- Experience working with photography;
- Experience working in media;
- Graphic design capabilities;
- Education that has prepared you for this kind of role;
- Fluent in Spanish;
- Knowledge of media terrain in Latin America and/or Asia.
Perks Of Working With Us
- Flexible hours;
- Remote work;
- 15 days paid vacation;
- Opportunities for advancement;
- Paid training opportunities and professional development allowance;
- A friendly, funny, talented and caring team.
More about us
We are a federally incorporated non-profit based in Toronto, Canada. We are a small, fully remote team distributed across different time zones. We offer a flexible working schedule, professional development opportunities, and operate with plenty of autonomy in our roles to support varied needs and working styles.
How to apply
If you’d like to apply for this position, please complete this form and upload your resume. Applications close May 18.
Note: if you meet most, but not all, requirements and still think you would be a great fit for the role, we encourage you to apply and let us know how we could support you. We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply, especially those from under-represented backgrounds. We value diversity and believe that work on behalf of animals benefits greatly from collaborating with people from all backgrounds and identities.
Interview process. Subject to minor adjustments.
- Application form including writing samples
- Written task (~2-3 hours)
- Interview 1 (30-45 minutes)
- Interview 2 (1 hour)
- (Possible) final written task (~1 hour)
See this posting on our website here.