Position: Communications and Public Relations Manager
Reporting to: Director of Marketing and Communications
Position Type: Full time/permanent
Work Hours: 37.5h/week, Mon-Fri
Compensation: $60,200K year, commensurate with experience + benefits after probation period
The Centre for Social Innovation (CSI) offers coworking, community and catalyzing programs to over 1,000 social missionorganizations in Toronto and New York City. CSI’s member organizations work across dozens of sectors to tackle the social, environmental andeconomic challenges of our times. We’re a nonprofit social enterprise on a mission to amplify our members’ impact and fuel movements to put people and planet first.
Over the next few years we’re going deep with new work to create more inclusive, sustainable and thriving communities in ourfounding city of Toronto. And we’re going broad by launching a newco-created platform to connect social innovators andentrepreneurs across Canada.
It’s important that you know that at CSI we’re proud of our intentional culture. Collaboration, entrepreneurship and systems change are embodied in everything we do. We have the passion and drive of a young tech start-up, and deep roots in thesocial movements of the 60’s and 70’s. We are wildly optimistic while being deeply pragmatic. We are looking for someone who iscommitted to leveraging their enormous skills, smarts and heart to treat the root causes of wicked social problems.
In sum: this is a rare kind of crew – practical, friendly and deeply ambitious. We are determined to change the world, and we have a plan. Now we need you to help make it happen!
Purpose of this role:
We’re lookingfor a great communicator who’s strategic, emotionally intelligent, organized and driven. As Communications and Public Relations Manager, you’ll report to the Director of Marketing and Communications, and work with a high performing team of communications, marketing, content and design specialists. This job will engage your head, heart and hands – you’ll be co-creating strategy, managing the team’s workflow and contributing your special talents to engage for impact across a wide range of projects and channels.
As with all members of the CSI staff team, the Communications and Public Relations Manager will be expected to:
Connect people and ideas
- Brighten peoples’ days
- Be at the heart of an incredible community
- Build social networks
- Create a culture of openness, sharing, and caring
Project manage “the agency” and workflow
- Serve CSI’s business unit and departmental heads by being the first point of contact, and ally in success, when they are seeking communications support
- Translate strategy into manageable action plans, manage projects, supervise workflow, and assign job tasks to team specialists
- Ensure projects are delivered on time and within budget
- Help hold the departmental budget and facilitate team meetings
- Provide expert support and guidance to the team
- Support the management of HR processes, including timely performance reviews
Be the lead communicator
- Lead successful PR campaigns that align with marketing and business priorities
- Direct national market media strategies and launches for CSI’s products, programs and services
- Develop strategic public and media, engagement and execution strategies to enhance our relationship with stakeholders
- Tell the stories of our members and programs using content made for new and traditional media
- Manage media requests and seek out media opportunities
- Draft and edit communications materials including reports, press releases, pitches, blog posts, webpages, and other public statements as required
- Edit and provide feedback on staff communications as necessary
- Apply your design eye to produce basic communications materials like decks, simple graphics, and basic reports using Canva, Adobe, or other widely used software
Contribute your talents to get results
- With support from the Director of Marketing and Communications, and in collaboration with the marketing team, you’ll achieve quantitative targets across all business lines, which may include media mentions, volunteer and program recruitment support, brand awareness, member engagement, and product adoption
- Building on the bedrock of your strategy and management skills, you’ll find the best way to get your hands dirty and contribute your communications skills
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Experience with both project management and team facilitationApassion for our work, our vision and our people, aligning with CSI’s values of inclusion, diversity, accessibility and sustainability
- At least 3-5 years of work experience in publicity, public relations, corporate communications, or in a relevant field or equivalent experience
- Excellentwriting skills. You have the ability to make complicated ideas clear, friendly and engaging
- Growth mentality. You see setbacks as learning opportunities. You are accountable and resilient, and you bring those qualities out in other people
- Comfort using and learning digital tools like Asana, Salesforce and MailChimp
- Experience using reporting and presentation tools like Canva and PowerPoint to deliver engaging presentations
- Adegree, diploma, or certificate in communications or a related field
- Previous nonprofit experience
- Working knowledge of HTML/CSS
- Graphic design skills
- Video editing skills
- Coding skills
What you can expect working at the Centre for Social Innovation:
We are a dynamic and collaborative team invested in our mission. We are constantly seeking to improve processes and increase our impact in the community. If you like start-ups, networks, social enterprises and working in a team atmosphere, this is a place for you.
We strongly encourage applications from diverse and/or marginalized backgrounds and communities and we encourage applicants to self-identify in their application.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until at least December 19, 2021. Please submit your resume and cover letter as soon as you are interested by visiting https://csito.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=88&source=aWQ9Ng%3D%3D
Please note that we may invite you to an interview with only a few days notice, and only those selected for an interview will be contacted. For more information about the Centre for Social Innovation visit www.socialinnovation.org.
Please let us know of any specific requirements needed in advance of visiting any of our spaces – we will be happy to work with you to accommodate any accessibility requests as best we can!