As a Salesforce Implementation Specialist at Mustard Seed, you’ll be joining a small-but-mighty consulting team working with leading nonprofits across Canada and the US. You will play a pivotal role helping build Salesforce-based digital infrastructure for charities who are leading the way in the areas of human rights, inequality, international development and disaster relief, environment and climate change, and food security.
Who you are
You may have been working as a Salesforce administrator in a large nonprofit for some time. Now you’re ready to broaden your experience and learn new skills as you work on new projects across an evolving portfolio of clients. You may not have consulting experience, but that’s ok – because your superpower is the empathy you’ve developed working with end users at your organization, your ability to communicate with nontechnical people, and your ability to wrangle user needs and struggles into simple Salesforce processes.
Who we are
Mustard Seed is a boutique Salesforce implementation agency working with leading nonprofits across Canada and the US. We focus on delivering digital solutions for fundraisers and marketers in midsize and enterprise nonprofits.
We are boundary-pushing technologists with big hearts – approaching our work with empathy, a humble and learning posture, and openness to deeply collaborative work with our clients. Our client portfolio includes inspiring nonprofits like Oxfam Canada, Oxfam America, Habitat for Humanity, Center for American Progress, Community Food Centres Canada, Earth Island Institute, and Creative Commons.
At Mustard Seed, you will help design, build out, and integrate new Salesforce implementations, and support continuous improvement of existing implementations. You will work primarily with the Nonprofit Success Pack and related ecosystem of products, delivering user-centered solutions to a mix of midsize and enterprise nonprofits. On smaller projects, you will take a leadership role on the technical build, with appropriate support. On larger projects, you will collaborate closely with our Lead Architect and small team of specialists. While your role is more heavily weighted towards technical work, this is an entry-level consulting role which involves working directly with clients from time to time. You will not be expected to take on “big” client conversations alone, but you will sometimes interact directly with end users to map out business processes, deep-dive on specific functional needs, and troubleshoot technical issues.
Mustard Seed is a fully virtual team. You will be working from home or from a coworking location in your city.
- Work closely with the Lead Architect to deliver implementation and continuous improvement projects following our agile project methodology. This includes:
- Supporting or leading discovery meetings with clients, to identify key requirements and use cases, and document requirements in the form of User Stories
- Building out client-specific functionality on Salesforce NPSP and related products, using primarily declarative toolsets such as custom fields and objects, page layouts, workflows/process builder, flows, profiles and permissions, reports, and dashboards (custom code is not a requirement for this role)
- Configuring functionality around the Salesforce NPSP technology stack, including Batch Gift Entry, Elevate, and Accounting Subledger
- Standing up third-party integrations such as online fundraising platforms (Engaging Networks, Classy), direct mail vendors, caging vendors, third-party fundraising (Canada Helps, Benevity), volunteer platforms, and payment processors, using vendor-supplied connectors, middleware tools like Zapier, or csv-based export/import processes
- Supporting or leading User Acceptance Testing with end users
- Supporting or leading data migration from legacy systems – conduct data audits, develop and document field mappings, execute data extract, cleanse, transform, and load
- Writing technical and end user documentation
- Assisting with end-user training and onboarding support
- Managing your time around 2-3 concurrent projects
- Proactively communicating progress and roadblocks with the Project Lead
Support/Virtual Admin (20%)
- Take the lead on managing responses to clients on extended support / virtual admin plans
- Monitor the support queue once per day, responding to client requests that fall within your skillset. Typical support requests include: troubleshooting an integration issue, building an advanced report, building a new email or document template, adding or adjusting process automations.
- When an issue requires escalation, work with clients to clarify and reproduce the issue prior to escalating
- Ensure proactive communication so clients know when they can expect a response or resolution to their issue
- Co-create your Professional Development plan
- Support sales efforts as needed
- Contribute to service innovation and development
- Support teammates by sharing your knowledge and assisting with collaborative problem-solving when there’s a really hard problem to be solved
- Contribute towards building and strengthening positive client relationships, ensuring requests are met in a timely and service-oriented manner
As a small consulting business, everyone’s contributions to billable revenue is essential. You will be expected to spend at least 32 hours per week on activities directly billable to a client.
- 2-3 years of experience as a Salesforce Administrator, preferably in a nonprofit setting with 30+ users
- Proven affinity for working with data: how it’s structured, how to wrangle it, how it flows through an organization
- Experience working with large data volumes
- Excellent written and oral communication skills – able to explain complex technical concepts in plain language
- Demonstrated commitment to continual learning
- Demonstrated interest in helping nonprofits succeed
- Self-starter who thrives working independently, but is also comfortable and effective in a small team setting
- Able to work in Canada
- Salesforce Administrator certification, or able to become certified within 3 months of starting employment
(not required and certainly not first in our hiring considerations, but we would put them to good use!)
- Basic working knowledge of fundraising and digital marketing concepts
- Nonprofit Cloud, Sales Cloud, Experience Cloud, or Pardot Certifications
- Experience gathering user requirements and building a technology plan
- Programmatic skills, specifically in the Salesforce environment (Apex, Visualforce, Lightning Components, APIs)
- Advanced data skills, such as SQL and/or experience with ETL tools like Mulesoft
Compensation and Benefits
Salary: $80,000 – 100,000
- 4 weeks of vacation per year
- Flexible working hours – If you need to work a shorter day to manage kids’ school schedules, and make up some hours in the evening, or if you simply wish to get out for a mid-day walk – we’re happy to provide the flexibility that makes working work for your life.
- Health benefits for you and your family
- Monthly allowance for a coworking desk
How to Apply
Mustard Seed is an equity-seeking organization. Folks who come from underrepresented, racialized, and/or marginalized backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply, please submit your Resume and Cover letter at https://mustardseednonprofit.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=21. Only qualified respondents will be contacted. We are accepting applications as long as this job remains posted.