What we’re looking for
TAF is seeking an Electric Vehicle (EV) Program Manager to lead the implementation of our soon-to-be-launched EV charging program. If you’re a program manager extraordinaire with a passion for urban climate solutions, we want to talk to you!
This is a full-time, two-year contract reporting to the Director of Strategy and Grants. Salary range: $60,000 – $70,000, depending on qualifications and experience. Estimated start date July 15, 2021.
About The Atmospheric Fund (TAF)
TAF is a regional climate agency with a $90 million endowment fund to invest in innovative low-carbon solutions in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area (GTHA) and scale them up for broad implementation. We are experienced leaders and we collaborate with stakeholders in the private, public and non-profit sectors. We advance the most promising concepts by investing, providing grants, influencing policies and running programs. We’re particularly interested in ideas that offer benefits in addition to carbon reduction such as improving people’s health, creating local jobs, boosting urban resiliency, and contributing to a fair society.
We are a registered non-profit, with a Board of Directors appointed by the City of Toronto, made up of City councillors and citizens. Learn more at taf.ca.
Working at TAF
Talk to our staff and they will tell you that working at TAF comes with amazing advantages. We’re on the leading edge of urban climate change solutions and our work makes a tangible difference. We build meaningful relationships with all kinds of stakeholders – from thought leaders advancing new concepts and approaches to the people who implement change on the ground. Join our dedicated and collaborative team to contribute to the value and impact of our work.
Building an inclusive community with a shared purpose is critical to our work and mandate. We are Equalx30 signatories and believe that teams work best when the people within them are diverse in background and approach, including diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin, age, and all the other fascinating characteristics that make us different.
Virtual Office Update: TAF staff are currently working from home due to the COVID-19 pandemic and we have no way of knowing when we’ll return to our downtown Toronto location. We are open to hiring candidates from different locations across the GTHA. We expect that all staff will need to meet in person on occasion when we can safely return to our office.
As EV Charging Program Manager, you’ll lead the promotion and implementation of TAF’s EV Charging Program, distributing $1.7M in funding to stakeholders throughout the GTHA to incentivize and support installation of EV charging stations. Building on TAF’s 30 years of grantmaking experience, this brand new program and position will support our strategic priority to accelerate the adoption of EVs and EV infrastructure in the GTHA.
Here’s a taste of what you’ll do:
Program Design and Development
- Keep the EV charging program relevant and impactful by actively monitoring developments and trends in the field, participating in conferences and other relevant fora, and synthesizing lessons learned.
- Ensure that the EV charging program remains in compliance with the requirements of our funders.
- Support additional fundraising efforts to amplify the impact of the program.
Community Liaison and Advisory Support
- Act as TAF’s go-to person for all things EV charging related, including promoting the program to stakeholders across the GTHA, leveraging TAF’s network to cultivate partners, connecting with funding recipients through their full project cycles, and liaising with TAF’s contracted technical advisor to ensure successful and seamless client experience.
- In collaboration with TAF’s Communications team, facilitate knowledge transfer by drawing out program learnings and sharing them with the TAF team and community partners to maximize impact.
Program Management and Reporting
- Manage all aspects of the funding cycle from the application and approval process, to negotiating contribution agreements, to reviewing project reports. Along the cycle, you’ll maintain well-organized, detailed and up-to-date files on the status of all applications and funded projects.
- Implement strong processes and procedures to promote effective administration of the EV charging program, including management of the program budget.
- Lead the reporting on program progress and outcomes to senior staff, TAF’s Board and Committees, and program funders.
The kind of candidate we’re looking for
You’ll be the right person for this job if you have an entrepreneurial spirit with the determination to identify and deliver creative solutions, adapt to quickly changing circumstances, solve problems, and pursue new directions as needed.
We require the following qualifications:
- Strong working knowledge of (and lots of passion for) urban climate solutions in general and electric mobility solutions in particular.
- At least three years’ experience managing a complex, multi-year program or project, including planning, implementation, troubleshooting, continuous improvement, and post-hoc evaluation.
- Proven stakeholder relations expertise, including managing relationships with a wide variety of community stakeholders with diplomacy and tact.
- An existing understanding of, or ability to quickly learn, the technical elements involved in managing electrical and/or engineering projects.
- Demonstrated experience implementing program/product marketing and communications activities.
- Financial acumen and excellent organizational and administrative skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with confidence in public speaking to a wide range of audiences.
- Advanced working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and project management tools.
- Ability to travel to EV charging sites throughout the GTHA as needed (a valid driver’s license is an asset, but not essential).
In addition to your base salary, you’ll benefit from:
- Paid time off:
- 15 vacation days per calendar year, pro-rated for partial years of employment.
- A generous and compassionate personal leave policy.
- TAF-wide office closures on 13 City designated and statutory holidays, as well as the three business days between Boxing Day and New Years’ Day.
- Comprehensive extended health, vision and dental benefits package after your first year of employment.
- Contribution to your retirement savings plan after your first year of employment.
- Support for your virtual office during pandemic, including hardware and stipend for internet and other expenses.
- Access to financial support and time off to pursue relevant professional development.In consultation with your supervisor, flexible work hours and work from home options (beyond COVID-19).
The Intangible Stuff:
- Work that directly helps to reduce carbon emissions and improve people’s health, create new green jobs, boost urban resiliency, and contribute to a more fair and just GTHA.
- Staff socials and lunches, picnics, and many other activities.
- Team-wide trainings and learning.
- Input to and participation in TAF’s strategic planning.
- A work environment that’s seeking to be open and inclusive.
- Staff-led Social and Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) Committees
- Next steps
Follow this link to get your application started!
You’ll answer some questions that are related to your day-to-day job. After the job closes, your answers will go through our sift process: all answers will be anonymised, randomised and then reviewed by a panel of reviewers.
If you are shortlisted, we’ll invite you to the next step, which includes an interview that will be conducted through a videoconference. Also, we love giving and getting feedback, so at the end of the application process we’ll share how well you performed and will welcome your comments on the process.